Soils, clays and rocks
Geomaterials are able to conduct chemical, mineralogical and textural analysis of soils and rocks using thin sections, X-ray diffraction and electron microprobe analysis techniques. Geomaterials has extensive experience in litigation involving soil and clay analysis.
Soils and Clay Mineralogy
- X-ray diffraction analysis to determine whole rock and clay mineralogy
- Determination of bulk chemical composition of the rock by electron microprobe analysis
- Calculation of semi-quantitative mineralogical proportions based on chemical analysis and X-ray diffraction testing.
- Determination of clay structure by electron microscopy and petrographic analysis.
Classification and identification of rock types
Analysis of rock structure including:
- Estimation of strength
- Identification of planes of weakness
- Assessment of porosity and porosity distribution using fluorescent resin impregnation
- Lithological variation
- X-ray diffraction identification of minerals including deleterious clay minerals.
- Measurement of compressive strength to ISRM methods
Chemical analysis including bulk chemical composition using the electron microprobe.